Thursday, April 16, 2009

Foreign Food

OGI

I like to make something different every once in a while. Last week I made Ogi, a traditional African fermented porridge. Traditionally it is made with much pounding and pulverising using large sticks, but I made mine with a food processor. There are two books that have recipes for Ogi, Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon and Wild Fermentation by Sandor Katz. I chose the NT version, which seemed a bit easier. First take 4 cups of Millet and soak it in water for 24 hours in a warm place. Drain off the water and process the grains in a couple batches until you have  thick paste, adding a dribble of water here can help. To the paste add more water until it is quite soupy. Strain this mixture through a mesh strainer. You wan the liquid part, not the gritty bits in the strainer (compost these). Ferment the liquid by adding about 1/4 C of fresh whey or plain Kefir or plain yogurt. Lacto fermented foods have enhanced nutrition and are more fully digested. Cover your fermenting culture and put a warm (i.e. not cold) place for 24 to 72 hours until it is bubbly when you agitate it. Keep in fridge until use. To cook simply take a cup of liquid cook on the stove, stirring constantly. I am always amused by this part. The liquid doesn't seem like it will ever thicken then suddenly it does and you have porridge!!!! The taste is sour and you can go either sweet or savory. I like mine with dates, Coconutghee, and whole raw milk........ 
Making the paste in a food processor.


Adding water until it is quite soupy


Straining through mesh.

The gritty bits for the compost.


After fermenting it will bubble on it's own! It's alive now and ready to be cooked and eaten.


12 comments:

Glenna said...

Hmmm. Not sure I'd be up for it. I do like a nice steel-cut oatmeal though.

I still love the idea of the dung beetle for Easter.

RG said...

For some reason this reminds me of one of those Clifford the Puppy books where the kid washed Clifford (when Clifford was still very small) in her Dad's soup bowl. That evening they had tasty soup for dinner and just when the Dad was having a big mouthful the kid told him about the bath.

The reaction of the Dad is about what I expect I would have if I did not know what it was, took a big bite, and then you explained the recipe! There were actually bubbles coming out of his mouth!

On the other hand, it is no doubt nutritious and very good for you!

Crafty Green Poet said...

When I lived in Malawi, I used to cook phala, which is somehow similar but made from maize. I got quite a taste for it and the thicker version nsima that is eaten like polenta

Connie said...

Lacto-fermentaion is something I'm only recently famialiar with. I still don't really get the hand of it.

For instance, that last step, it's alive, cook it and eat it, just doesn't make for a natural step for me.

But it is interesting! No doubt.

d. moll, l.ac. said...

Verde-I have little more more on Lacto-fermentation in my only entry for 2007-page down and you will find the link. Yes, I agree the last line is confusing, I thought it was confusing and maybe provoking in a way, but went ahead with it. Basically the bubbles mean the bacteria transforming the grains (in this case) and breaking down the cell walls that protect the nutritive elements, they start the process of digestion for us, hence when consumed one gets more of the nutrition.
RG-bubble, bubble, toil and trouble!!!!!
CGP-sounds quite similar.
G- this can actually be made with oats as well....

Anonymous said...

Thats great.
I am learning day-by-day Indian Homemade Food.
Keep writing.

PJ said...

Everyone thinks I'm putting in a new kitchen, but really, it's going to be more like a chemistry lab. I can't wait to try this.

Junkstylediva said...

There is something about the words fermenting culture that kinda creeps me out...sorry but I think I will stick to Captain Crunch. Your bunnies are still so cute though!

Unknown said...

We eats lot of porridge here, though eating fermenting porridge is totally something new to me, I'll try it..just dont tell me its fermented ;p hugs.......M

Anonymous said...

Hmm.. very interesting! I wouldn't mind a taste..

d. moll, l.ac. said...

FB and MK- coming right up!
Diva-eat the box too it has more nutrition, chomp, chomp.

ilex said...

Love it, especially the step-by-step pics. I've looked at Sandor's recipe, but didn't know there was one from Sally. Now, I just need a food processor...