Monday, April 06, 2009

Errrrr...Tuesday Bunday

The Spots and I tried for the traditional Monday Bunday post, we really did. The Spots had written a bang up restaurant review and we had some great footage to go along with it, but as luck, or lack of it, would have it I couldn't get it loaded; just blackness with the time ticking away along the bottom. We refuse to take this as an ominous sign. Instead I offer a couple of pix from the Spots rose eating session. Rose petals are still on the top of the list for treats. I tried to find some packaged treats for rabbits that could do in a pinch and was disappointed to find they all had corn syrup or some sort of sweetener in them. Since then I have experimented with drying Rose petals in the sun and the Spots approved of these heartily. 

Sydney pushes her brother away (bottom left) to grab a floral bite

We have found, too, from a friend on Bunspace (see the Spots here and here) that rabbits enjoy the branches as well (thorns removed). Just to see what the big deal was I ate a Rose petal and found it quite good. It does taste mildly like it smells with a lingering atmosphere of rose. It has a wonderful mouth feel and slightly astringes the mouth in a not unpleasant way. I found a recipe for Rose Petal scones that I'm going to try when I get my grain mill up and running (I have to buy some Spelt). Though I will substitute almonds for pistachios and leave off the icing.... Tyler and Sydney will disapprove of that use of Roses, I am sure......

Tyler has an eye for Roses

With THREE WEEKS off for Spring Break I am working hard every day on a print. When I am carving away the Spots like to come in and gnaw on wood under the bed, we make very similar sounds. This time the print is of a toad, which, like the Spots, has spots, or as Tyler calls them, splots. The photo is a proof with two colors and black, the colors are way too dark, but I just wanted to see if everything fit. Because I am messy and confined to small space, I had close at hand some paper with bright blue Rhinos from a print that didn't work out, I printed a couple of toad proofs and found later that I loved the way the bright blue looked with the other colors printed sort splotchy. I carved another block of stylized foliage to fit in front and in back of the toad and to print in the light blue. I think if I do the other colors with plenty of Nori (rice paste medium) I can consistently reproduce the look I am after. I am trying to do the eye with gold leaf. I need a little practice at this.......

First proof-way too dark and I am nixing all blue in the areas except for a thin line on the belly. Also need to accentuate the splots on the body and improve leafing technique.


Not perfect, certainly, but I am finding the bright blue too yummy to resist, must have it!!!!! I like the Rhinos, but I think thoughtfully designed foliage will wear better. 

Have a enjoy another week in the Rabbit Centered Universe.


13 comments:

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

Cool new design! And lucky you to get three weeks off! We got two days and thought we were living it up!

DKM said...

So now my buns want rose petals. Fiona suggests that the Spots try lavender - quite tasty

Crafty Green Poet said...

feasting on rose petals, that's the life for a bun! Lovely toads too.

d. moll, l.ac. said...

Yes, Fiona, the Spots love lavender too! One day Tyler ate too much very fresh and aromatic lavender and didn't want his dinner, so we are very moderate...

RG said...

CGP will like the toad!

Do you carve on wood? or ....

Rose petal bunnies ... how pampered!

ilex said...

The belly on that toad is almost as big as Savannah's belly, over at Houseful of Rabbits.

RoadBunner said...

Mario also loves roses. A florist said roses are pesticide packed, though, so I've curbed the practice unless I know where they came from.

The new print is awesome!

Anonymous said...

Now the buns really want to try Roses!! I haven't nibbled on a rose petal, but I've tried a small bit of Oxbow pellets lol! I was curious about the flavour, since the buns go crazy for their pellets. It tasted hay-ish.. not surprisingly :p

Unknown said...

Hello Diana, I am going to put up a list of artists I love on the sidebar and hope to link you too, can you give me an avatar or picture to use? Hey, zip some food over when you are done..if only that's possible...love the froggy :D

Mary-Laure said...

Cheating on bunnies with frogs? Tksss....

RG said...

That is NOT Savannah's belly .. she is just ... uh .... flattened and fluffy ... yes, that's it!

tlchang said...

Love the toady print. :-) (How clever to gold-leaf the eye!)

Rose petals are wonderful treats. I keep planting old heirloom varieties that are highly fragrant - and produce large hips. I mostly like them sweet, however: candied, in syrup, tea, poundcake, meringe... Feels and tastes very decadent. Rose-water chocolate truffles are one of the most amazing things I have ever eaten!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.