Sunday, May 10, 2009

Tiger Proof


So impatient/eager was I to proof the tiger that I didn't even finish clearing the blocks properly. You can see some extra orange smudges here and there. There will be some wrestling with this one. The tail is not lining up right, whether I can change that or I have to carve new block(s), remains to be seen. 


And I am not happy with the black foot. It looked OK in the sketch, but now it sticks out like a sore thumb, I think it should have a similar treatment to the front grayish leg. And I'm not so sure about the ruff on the far side coming out of the black side of his face. The ruff may just have to go, although it makes it more graphically interesting, I think it is too visually confusing.

 And I'm not even quite happy with the colors, the tiger might be too orange and real tigers have a bit of white. I am wondering about the green foreground, some Japanese prints use a gorgeous red earth tone and I am wondering what the would look like....Wouldn't this all be easier if I would just learn Illustrator or PhotoShop? That's a long answer, perhaps another time. I am just a bit under the gun because this tiger is to be used as a label for Kung Fu Teas, a tea line marketed by my Ba Gua teacher. I don't want to be the one holding things up...........

9 comments:

Deb Cushman said...

We agree that the back foot does stand out -- but the ruff on the back side of his face looks fine to us. We also love the green. The red earth tone might not looke good with the orange of the tiger (Or could be perfect -- what do we know?!)

Anyway, we think it is a beautiful and majestic tiger!

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

I'm with Freckles and Deb. The black foot is a bit too dark, but the rest is nice. Red earth and some white in the tiger would look good, but what you've got now is good, too.

The funny thing about art is that one is always one's own toughest critic. Ultimately, you need to be the one who loves it.

Annette Tait said...

So interesting Diana to hear your points!

I agree about the back leg, and I think it would look fine similar to the front one.
White on the tiger sounds great and would really make it more majestic and stand out more too.

I like the green, maybe brown instead will look good too - you would have to see how you feel about it!

I am a hard critique too on my own work - but I am disadvantaged in that I don't 'see' my work properly until I have made it public (and where everyone else can see it's glaring mistakes!!). Usually I realise too late. Strange!
(must be all the excitement of creating it?)

Anonymous said...

I think the black foot would look nice when you turn it grayish. I like the green foreground in the second picture :)

RG said...

Skinny down the tail a bit ..

What the heck, everybody else has some advice.

A nicely finished one must feel pretty good! What a lot of trying.

Elizabeth said...

Love the colors and the energy.
My vote is to make the black leg a little more in keeping with the rest.
But a splendid tiger anyway.

ilex said...

I agree with the hind leg, and with the input of some white/ less orange in the tiger.

d. moll, l.ac. said...

Many thanks for the feedback, everyone! I've already fixed up the foot and am working on the tail. And figuring how I want to do the white, whether by cutting out the orange or by doing some Bokashi (gradation printing). I think the ruff may stay, my son seems to be the only one bothered by that!

storyteller said...

I'm fascinated to see your progress and admire your talents.
Hugs and blessings,