Saturday, April 16, 2011

Being Doing

Getting concerned that I was posting too many photos of rabbits lounging around and looking cute, my plan for today was to get some action pics. Alas actually capturing Sydney jumping over Tyler or some other Cirque de Soleil worthy bunny trick was not in the cards. However this photo shows Amelia exhibiting some interesting learned behavior. About two months ago I switched from Eco Straw as the bottom layer of the litter box, the top layer being hay, to Country Cat. Now the more economical Country Cat is just pellets made out of organic wheatgrass, not much different than the Eco Straw, unless you are a rabbit with discriminating tastes. Sydney was the first to discover the taste treat in the fresh box and I would see round holes in the hay from with the wheat grass pellets had been extracted. Pretty soon all the rabbits were doing it. Today I didn't put any Country Cat layer in because being at the end of the hay I had lots of fine bits that seemed just perfect as the bottom layer. And yet every rabbit is still acting as if they are finding tasty treats in the bottom of the box. How long will it take to unlearn the behavior? How long does behavior take to change after the reward is no longer extant? Or is the digging reward enough? Is being a rabbit in a fresh hay box reward enough?


Amelia 04/16/2011

Tyler 04/16/2011

6 comments:

Friend of the Animals said...

They will unlearn only if there continues to be no good treats at the bottom. Cute pics!

Lo said...

Oh, those lovely creatures......I adore the photos.

Crafty Green Poet said...

lovely photos and a good example of bunny learning, no idea how long they'll keep digging, though I guess that digging is its own reward for bunnies

Jade said...

One can NEVER have enough pics of bunnies lounging around and looking cute!

RoadBunner said...

After I clean his litter box, the first time Mario jumps in, I always yell, "fresh hay!" gleefully because I'm pretty certain that is what he is thinking

Lisa said...

Hmmm. I think I tried to find Cat Country online and didn't find any vendors I loved. I get yesterday's news with flat rate $10 shipping.