Wednesday, November 10, 2010

It's Thursday and An Incident

Twice weekly visits to the Farmer's Market are required by the four rabbits here at the Raboratory. They claim it is in their contract or within their scope of practice or one of many inalienable rights depending on the day. I didn't buy the limes for them, I brought them, 5 for two bucks, because of the color, though I did think I could take some pictures with rabbits and the marvelous limes and what fun that would be and it was. They all wanted to eat them after an initial sniff.


At the Farmer's Market there is often musical entertainment. This week there was a fine guitarist, Boogie Bruce. He had four guitars and played some fantastic steely blues while I was there. I gave him a dollar. Outside the natural foods store where I went to buy ginger there was an older gentleman playing really good violin, no really good. I didn't buy the ginger they had because it was from China and that seemed like way too far away.



Further up the Mall, which is not Mall as in a covered shopping mall or a strip mall, but just a one lane street with lots of businesses. Some call it the heart of downtown Santa Cruz. Further up the Mall playing off the acoustics of buildings that replaced those taken by the earthquake of '89, was Santa Claus type of fellow. Though unlike Santa he wore a blue and white baseball cap with a six pointed star. He also wore dark blue Crocs with grey striped socks. Standing on a corner amidst the tall buildings he played a jazz trumpet. The song "On the Street Where You Live", the notes riffed and rippled up and falling back down off the walls and coating the street as dusk, too, fell. Amazing stuff. I gave him a dollar too.



I give a little more rent when I have more patients than usual. Not because I have to, but because I know that my office mate, the lease holder, has to carry the office and he's struggling to do that since not all the days are sublet. When the State Board of Equalization called me a few days back trying to get all my info current, I was asked how much rent I paid and I said usually $200, but sometimes I pay more voluntarily, just trying to be fair. There was a sort of silence on the other end. "I guess you don't hear that often" I ventured.....



Lest you think the Raboratory these days is all posed photos with brightly colored fruits that rabbits can't eat. Here is an incident that occurred just last night. Tyler was just too happy to comply with Amelia's constant grooming requests and simply rolled over on his back, feets in the air.

Tyler the Love Pillow



19 comments:

Clovie Boy said...

I just love it when they roll over!

Lisa said...

I was going to say, I thought citrus was toxic!!

Santa Cruz sounds like an amazing place.

LOVE that last picture. too much cuteness.

Lisa Alto said...

Sigh. That last pic melts my heart. I saw Bella flop for the first time today. Bunny flops make my heart sing!

The Fab Furs said...

And outsiders wonder why people live in California where the hills are alive with the sound of music, at home there's more to eat than just the green, green grass, and karma fills the air. (It does surprise me that the buns don't demand daily produce runs, they must be cutting you some slack.)

Christina said...

That is is the sweetest pose. I love feets in the air.

Annette Tait said...

goodness a LOVE Pillow!!!

we would like 2 here please! one for each!

nice to have music whilst shopping, and I don't buy fruit and thingys that are imported from the other side of the world either, er, that would make it California! (heh heh :)
or NZ kiwi fruit!

Anonymous said...

You're so awesome! I love giving extra when I can, have given the last I have to a guy offering to wash my windows to help his family I don't know if the story is true but he's doing something to try and make an honest buck so I'm happy to help when I can. Love the pics and the story of the shopping trip. Esp. love pic #2 of Ty and the lime!

RG said...

OMG - children - blind your eyes - what ARE those bunnies doing????

Bunnies - cover your ears - what IS this 2-runs-to-the-market a week crap???

Three thumbs up for supportng the music makers.

d. moll, l.ac. said...

CB-it is just too much, really it is.
L-yes, I read citrus is toxic too, goes to show what bunnies know about food.
The H-hooray for Bella! That's some pretty fast settling in, I think.
FF-housing may be expensive there are perks.
C-it was almost full on the back, I had to be so careful taking the picture lest he startle...which he did in the end anyway.
AFT-Everyone needs a love pillow.
MOC-he wanted that lime, you can tell by his eye...
RG-should I post warnings at the top of the page from now on???

bunnits said...

Neat photos of the buns investigating the limes.

I love the floppy bunny photo.

I haven't been to Santa Cruz in waaay too many years. Need to get back there one of these days.

Keithius said...

Betsy has been doing a lot of bunny flops like that too. Maybe it is just that time of year, or something? Who knows. Probably all part of their complex master plan to take over the world.

d. moll, l.ac. said...

B-SC has undoubtedly changed and is ready for re-investigation!!
K-it could be in anticipation of the coming Chinese New Year, the Year of the RABBIT.

boltandfrolic said...

He sure is a Love Pillow! : D
They're beautiful together.

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

That's an adorable bunny flop!

Crafty Green Poet said...

oh so sweet that Tyler rolled over like that, happy bunny!

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

Tyler you are just too darn ardorable for words!
Sounds like wonderful music d. I would love to walk along and hear that. Fun!
And yes, I bet nobody ever hears someone say thay will pay more rent. Especially these days.
xx, shell

Friend of the Animals said...

Super cool pics.

Glenna said...

Love pillow! I love bunny flops--such a rare thing. Feets!

Unknown said...

I love Tyler....so adorable! That's something I hardly ever hear, volunteer for anything..but you have a good heart D...and good things will come round in many forms! seriously, I will we will are nearer. My mom goes to a acupuncturist weekly, a close colleague of mine started hers at a different place and everyone urged me to try...and I wish we are closer. Love ya!!