Monday, February 15, 2010

Monday Bunday:Trickster Bun


Harriet can be a bit of the trickster, she is so dark that sometimes I can't see her in her pen and I am sure she was done a Houdini. She is able to scramble over the three foot Xpen, so I have to pin a sheet over the top. There were some exciting night time escapes and forays into the living room, stronghold of the Spots, before this technological innovation was in place.

Hopping when she can.

Today there were some mix-ups involving Harriet. When I brought her to the vet last week Dr. H. was concerned, and rightly so, about performing a spay on a rabbit that might be someone else's. She asked that Harriet be registered as found with County Animal Control for a waiting period of two weeks. I dutifully did this the very same day. On Friday Dr. H's office called and left a message asking to schedule her spay. So today I called and spoke with C. and told her the story. When C. relayed the story to Dr. H. she left out enough for Dr. H. to think I'd surrendered Harriet to Animal Control. "Diana would never, never do that!" she said and had B. call me back for clarification; A little mix-up; we were all relieved to find I wasn't behaving out of character.

Harriet chooses a book to take back to her pen.

Because Harriet is in a pen I try to bring her out often to stretch her legs. The kitchen has a good straight run in it and I've rabbit proofed the back yard enough that with supervision she can go out there. Today it was a particularly fine morning so I took Harriet out in the yard while I pruned a rose tree. I followed her around a while and saw she was going to all the places she went the day before. Everything seemed quite stable, I kept my eye on her. I turned my back to do something or other and she was gone. Vanished into thin air. I looked everywhere. I could just imagine what the BF would say because I had been saying I thought she wasn't going to make a break for it and would stick around. Thinking she might have breached the side barrier and gone out front I went into the kitchen on my way through the house. Who comes racing out of the back room with Amelia on her tail, yes, it was the run away rabbit. Harriet had hopped up the steps and into the kitchen, which she knew well and returned to her room to "visit" with Amelia.........

With a whole kitchen to explore the most interesting thing is still of the other side of the door.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL of course she'd go right for the smell of the other fluffies!! Amelia apparently doesn't want to share you!

Christina said...

Ha Ha, Harriet knows what she is doing. She knows there are other buns about somewhere, she just needed to look for them. We too have some acrobatic buns at the rescue that try to go awol out of their pens. Our boy Marshall in particular leaped into the playpen of the wrong lady bun. When she was done whippin his butt he was ready to go home. Hasnt made the leap since. LOL. Are you going to try and introduce Harriet to Buns3 after her spay?

PJ said...

Maybe she was just trying to find her bunlibrary card...

d. moll, l.ac. said...

MOC-silly me for thinking she'd want to run away!
C- yes, after the spay. I think one at a time and i'll have to make a neutral area, maybe some bath tub dates.....if it doesn't work out Dr. H's tech was very impressed by her and said she might want her....
P-Yes, or she'd changed her mind about her bunbook choice....

RG said...

That Harriet looks a lot like The Princess! A 4-footer - that is what we call them. Need a 4-foot barrier to keep them in (or out.)

Deb Cushman said...

Looks like Harriet is making herself quite at home and known to the other buns.

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

Harriet has quite a personality. She seems very happy to have found your home. Clearly she knew what she was doing when she chose you.

Crafty Green Poet said...

Harriet does seem to be settling in! She's certainly got a lot of books to choose from!

Lisa said...

They have to keep you on your toes, D. I'm glad to hear your new addition has an entertaining personality.

Good luck with the quadro-bond, and good luck teaching Harriet about litter boxes. She seems a little bit messy in that last pic!

Tamsin said...

I love your book shelves/bunny proofing :) She sounds like Scamp, I daren't turn my back for a second and I spend ages following him around because I know he'll notice as soon as I stop and find his way somewhere he shouldn't be.

Anonymous said...

You're quite the bun magnet, D! Harriet sounds like she's settling in very well.. I do hope that a Rabbits4 is possible.. :)

Glenna said...

Oh, my. Harriet is going to be an interesting new addition to your hutch!

d. moll, l.ac. said...

RG-Like Princess, that's high praise indeed. Princess does have a bit white detailing that is quite special.
FAD-LOL you don't know the half of it!
BG-I suspect she wants to run the place.
CGP-We aim to please. Turn down service? but of course!
L-There are lots of out of place doots, they are being used as marking and to pass messages.....
T- she can be pretty good, but she also seems to disappear so easily, maybe I'm just used to white rabbits.
FB-nice to see you stop by :) I think putting the poops in the front yard draws any strays in...
G-indeed I will be fearfully out numbered. She is like shadow to the whiter buns. At least some interesting photo ops...

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

Oh she is just so much fun! It is interesting that everyone always wants to see what's on the other side of the door. You know...maybe carrots behind door #1!
Precious!

RoadBunner said...

Harriet seems to be taking up the role of the little rascal!

Elizabeth said...

I'm so glad Harriet is getting in the habit of reading --so different from other young people today who do nothing but play on the computer!
Love my glimpses into their world and so sorry I have been a bit absent lately.

Charlotte said...

Bless Harriet!

I am about to head outside with my Humphrey and will have my eyes on his backside the whole time... this is his first foray into the garden this year. There will be excitement and like Tamsin says, he'll be waiting for me to turn away for just a second...!

Charlotte & Humphrey
x

Heart of a Cowgirl said...

They are all such little stinkers! By the way, why is it that the books on your bottom shelf are not all chewed on???

Unknown said...

I love this bun!!! Love her colour and she does not look so dark up close..compared to the other photos. It's going to be very interesting integrating all these 4buns together :)