Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Bunday is Everyday



cha cha cha.....

As you can imagine the bonding dance continues with one hop forward and two hops back, or maybe that's two hops forward and one hop back, I'll let you be the judge. For a few days I fed Harriet with the Spots and that worked out pretty much OK, but Amelia was feeling too isolated so I swapped her back to the front and had all four eating together. This mostly involved Harriet coming into the front because it seemed like she was more likely to get upset if another rabbit went into the back zone.

Breakfast all at once without a fence.

Last Sunday, notice there is always trouble on the weekends, I returned from teaching Tai Chi to find Sydney in her pen in the living room, not out of the ordinary, but something in her furry face told me to check on the back room double quick. Tyler was standing in the doorway looking out and I swear he looked relieved to see me. Amelia had gotten in the back zone. My arrival found she and Harriet both with heads down in the dominance pose, there was fur of both colors on the floor and on the bed. I stepped over the fence and sat down with them, petting both their heads and checking as well as I could for wounds. Both rabbits were breathing hard. After they calmed down a bit I decided to just let them be and see if maybe they had worked out their differences in my absence. But no, Amelia tried to get into "her" willow tent and another fight ensued. This time I DID NOT stick my hand in between them, in fact a properly inserted foot did the trick and I was even able to securely sandwich Harriet between my feet. I fed them all after about half an hour and Harriet was still so upset she wouldn't eat much, Amelia on the other hand was chowing down like football player at an all you can eat joint.


Amelia sniffs Harriet under my heavy hand.

In Chinese Medicine there is a condition called "Liver Attacking Stomach" one of the ways this can present is not being hungry after getting upset, specifically upset by being angry. I am now treating both gurlz for "liver issues". I decided to treat Amelia as well just to be on the safe side. I am using a set of points called "Four Gates" and my nifty tres moderne laser. Some years ago I had a small windfall and purchased a couple of "machines" for my practice that would allow me to address conditions in people who didn't like needles. A laser with a special acupoint attachment was one of them. It's not a cure all miracle machine but as far as using it on points goes it can sometimes be quite effective. I've just treated the gurlz once at this writing, so it's a bit early to tell if behavior has changed.

With the baskets I can manipulate space between buns.

On another note curiously through Facebook I have been commissioned to paint a rabbit portrait. The lagomorph in question is one Baby Porkchop, who is sadly At The Bridge. His mum, Thea Smith is active in rabbit rescue in her home town of Glendale AZ. Here is the OK'd sketch, I'll start painting soon..........

Baby Porkchop was a big (9.5 lb) happy bunny who knew that he was the boss.

Soon to be announced and available to the public: Qi Stamps........


14 comments:

Lisa said...

As always, you crack me up. Eating all together? Just bc there was a problem later on doesn't mean that's not progress!!! So, the girls had another scuffle. Big deal. No one got hurt.

I love that last picture of them with the two earometers going at the same time! Clearly very well calibrated.

Anonymous said...

Love the pic of Harriet's boxing gloves!

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

You have such amazing patience.

I like the drawing, btw. What medium will this be in?

The Fab Furs said...

I didn't realize that lasers were even used in acupuncture at times, let alone they could be used on rabbits. How does the Four Gates correspond to rabbit anatomy?

Love the Baby Porkchop sketch.

RG said...

Racer toes!

Maybe on eBay you can find one of those drive-in order phones and a booth juke-box song picker to go with the baskets! The bunns will be soooo retro-happy!

It seems like you are getting very close .............

d. moll, l.ac. said...

RG-ever hopeful I'll make that mid Sept date that you predicted ! :)
FF-Four Gates points are on the paws, easy with the laser, not so easy with needles. I use it lots in the office to get the Qi going in the right directions...
BG-I'm almost as stubborn as a bunny. Baby P. will be a combo of water color and colored pencil, ends up looking like a pastel, but more durable and more detail.
MOC-Aren't they just too much!!!!
L-I think secretly they like each other a lot....

PJ said...

They look like they're at a restaurant having the special. I think two of the baskets could become bunarmor. Let's hope they never learn to tie a square knot.

bunnits said...

Adorable bunny toes! I love the bunny diner.

Hope the bonding process cntinues a little more calmly. It can be harrowing. I haven't had much success trying to get these four to be civil to each other. Two, Matilda and Gabby, will share playpen space outside, but a no-go in their condos. Too confining. I still have hopes for a 4-bun bond someday.

bunnits said...

I forgot to mention that I really like that angel bun.

Crafty Green Poet said...

who needs soap operas when your bunnies are entertaining us all...

Glenna said...

I love the bun stories. And the picture of Baby Porkchop! Cute! And looking forward to the stamps.

I love the idea of liver attacking stomach which explains my own physical reaction to bad things that happen (i.e. Run! Run to the restroom!).

Unknown said...

hahah!..I imagined the buns chacha-ing together and good to know the fence's down and all are lovey dovey together. It did seemed like forever before it happened. I tried Tai Chi on the boat in Halong/vietnam. It was nice, slow and really not so easy. the Vietnamese instructor made it look easy and he was so absorbed in the movements...while the rest of us were struggling to keep up :)

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

Oh the stress of it all, but I will not give up hope that all will be well. Some things just take time right?
Love the sketch you did D. It's wonderful.
xx, shell and sugie bunny

Deb Cushman said...

Thank you for you kind thoughts on Freckles' surgery. She's much perkier today.

We love the salad containers! And we're sending good thoughts that Harriet soon finds a way to fit in with the Spots and Amelia.